Thursday, July 08, 2010

Reggae Sumfest 2010 Was Launched With A Great Party At Pier One

Forgive me but if you offer me a couple rum and cokes and some good company then that's all I will mostly be interested in for the night and that's exactly what happened last night. It was really a great vibe but let's not forget that the occasion held at Montego Bay's favourite party venue, Pier One, was the launch of this year's Reggae Sumfest, Jamaica's premiere reggae and international music show for the past 18 years which will run from July 17-24 in Montego Bay, so I owe you a semblance of some decent reporting.

The event was well attended by sponsors and guests from around Jamaica and Montego Bay including representatives of Digicel, Iberostar Rose Hall Beach Hotel, Secrets Resort and Spa, Holiday Inn, Sunset Beach Resort and Spa, the Palmyra, the Twisted Kilt, Margaritaville Caribbean, Satori Resort, Altamont Court Hotel, Coral Cliff, Jamaica Air Shuttle and others. From a strictly party perspective it was good to see "people persons" like Sophia Max-Brown, Crazy Neil, Gary Gourzong, Andre Dixon and Donahue Jarret in the place. Hey, it's all about vibes so I'm giving props where they are due. People make the world go round, baby.

But seriously, there was indeed a Reggae Sumfest presentation as expected detailing the performers at this year's show and profiling the official sponsors. This took place somewhere between my third and fifth rum and coke. Johnny Gourzong, Reggae Sumfest's executive director made the key presentation and I caught something very important he said about the Spanish football team and their star player Iniesta in this year's football World Cup. It's good to see that even Reggae Sumfest has their priorities straight when it comes to current affairs and global events. Waka waka...you follow me?

The presentation included a great video of all the performers at Reggae Sumfest 2010. If you're going to ask me who they all are then you really don't know me, do you? But I was promised by Reggae Sumfest officialdom that I will soon be able to link to the video from my blog so keep your attention fixed on Irie Latino. From what I saw via the video Reggae Sumfest 2010 will be a great show as usual featuring the likes of Mavado, Bounty Killer, Vybz Kartel, Chris Brown, Jah Cure, Usher, Shaggy, Tarrus Riley and Beenie Man to name just a few.

Oh! Richie Loops will also be there...you know...the guy whose drink is in his cup, it's in his cup because what's in his cup stays in his cup because his drink is in his cup. Yep, it's in his cup because his drink is in his cup because it's in his...you guessed it...his cup! Did I mention that his drink is in his cup? It's in his cup. Looking forward to seeing him...and his flippin' cup! I don't really understand why I love that song so much but my psychiatrist and I are working through the problem. Jokes aside, big up to Richie for THE Jamaican song of 2010!

Finally, let me just say that the food was excellent and respect is due to Pier One especially for the quiche. I hope nobody noticed just how many servings I helped myself to. Thank you to Anna-Kay Russell, one of Pier One's bright young owner/managers for inviting me to open the buffet. Clearly, she knows how to identify the hungry bellies in the crowd. Congrats to the whole Pier One team for always making the party special and for always making their patrons feel so much more than special. It was a great start to Reggae Sumfest 2010! (Click on the pics to enlarge)

















2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice and thanks!

Anonymous said...

Very similar.