Monday, August 30, 2010

Coming Soon: The Havana Club Cigar Lounge In Montego Bay




I took a trip to Cuba today although I traveled in neither plane nor boat. I shared laughter with the late, great singer Polo Montanez and the likes of Ibrahim Ferrer. I engaged in intense political debates with Fidel Castro, Raul Castro and the ghost of Che Guevara. Did it really happen or was it just a dream? It's hard to say because walking through the doors of the new Havana Club Cigar Lounge on the Hip Strip in Montego Bay made me forget my time and place.

The club has not yet been completed but the impression nevertheless is stunning. Portraits of the famous Cuban revolutionaries adorn the walls alongside the images of the musical talent for which that island is renowned. Famous international stars of yesteryear also share space with the icons of Cuba helping to enhance the already pervasive atmosphere of nostalgia in the lounge.

The Havana Club is certain to join the ranks of Mobay's finest entertainment offerings with a main lounge and dance-floor, a piano bar in an adjoining room, a gift shop specializing in cigar paraphernalia and a humidor. Expect Latin themed entertainment as well as activities geared for an upscale lounge of unquestionable quality. If you're not a smoker take note that the club has no less than eighteen air purifiers and two external extractors to make it a comfortable experience for all.

If everything goes according to schedule we can expect an opening sometime in September. You'll either find me chatting with "el comandante" at that special piano designed to accommodate drinkers or singing along with Polo Montanez near the dance floor. When you see me just give me a pinch to wake me from my dreams. (Click the pics to see greater detail especially the one of the cigar box designed to look like a house)


No comments: